Within the Inv2Mac project (Potencial aprovechamiento de biomasa generada a partir de especies vegetales invasoras de la Macaronesia para uso industrial, MAC/4.6d/229), supported by the Transnational Cooperation Programme Madeira-Azores-Canarias (MAC 2014-2020) towards Regional Development Fund (ERDF), the Centro de Química da Madeira (CQM), University of Madeira, Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal, is offering a post-doc fellowship for scientific research and development (M/F), in the following conditions:
Scientific area: Chemistry/Materials Science
- The candidates must have a Ph. D. in Chemistry, Materials Science or fields related to the project obtained at no more than 3 years;
- The research work that led to the award of the PhD degree of the candidates cannot have been carried out at the Madeira Chemistry Research Center/Centro de Química da Madeira;
- The candidates must also have:
- Experience in the study of chemical, structural, morphological and functional characterization of natural fibers;
- Experience in the obtention of nanomaterials using natural fibers as materials source;
- Experience in studies of thermal stability and mechanical properties of organic polymers and natural fibers;
- Proven expertise in the use of SEM, AFM, TGA, and FTIR techniques.
Preference is given to anyone who, in addition to the previous requirements, has a doctorate in the area and/or research work (published papers with impact factor and/or patents) in the field of the project and/or in the preparation of nanocomposites based on natural fibers and inorganic nanoparticles for immobilization and delivery of drugs.
Work Plan: This work is part of an international project (Madeira, Azores, and Canaries) that aims to study and valorise invasive species in the Macaronesia Region, namely Arundo donax, Opuntia spp., Pennisetum setaceum, and Hedychium gardnerianum. The fellow will be responsible for the study of the chemical, structural, morphological, thermal and mechanical properties of fibers and for the preparation of nanocomposites based on these natural fibers.
- Task 1 - Bibliographic research;
- Task 2 - Chemical, structural, morphological and functional characterization of natural fibers;
- Task 3 - Preparation of nanocomposites based on fibers and inorganic nanoparticles;
- Task 4 - Determination of the thermal and mechanical properties of fibers and nanocomposites;
- Task 5 - Preparation of technical reports and papers.
Note: Some of the tasks may run in parallel.
Laws and applicable regulation: Scientific Research Grant Holder Statute in its current wording and the Grant Regulation of the University of Madeira.
Workplace: The work shall be carried out at the Centro de Química da Madeira (National Research Centre) of the University of Madeira, under the guidance of Prof. João Rodrigues.
Duration of the grant: The fellowship will last for 12 months, possibly renewable for a maximum of 36 months, starting on April 1, 2020.
The amount of the monthly stipend: The monthly stipend of the grant is €1600, according to the stipend table awarded directly by the Universidade da Madeira.
Selection Methods: By evaluation of the Curriculum Vitae of the candidates (see bellow the documentation to be submitted with the application).
Composition of the selection jury: Prof. João Rodrigues (President of the Jury), Prof. Helena Tomás (effective member), Prof. Pedro Pires (effective member), and Doctor Carla Alves (alternate member).
Pronouncement and notification of the results: The final evaluation results (ordered list based on the obtained classification) will be disclosed at the websites of the Human Resources Unit - University of Madeira, http://urh.uma.pt, and the Madeira Chemistry Research Centre, http://cqm.uma.pt. The selected candidate will be informed by e-mail.
Application deadline and requirements: Those concerned may apply from 7 February to 28 February 2020 (17h, Portuguese time).
Applications must be supported by an application letter, and accompanied by the following documents: one-two page motivation letter detailing the research experience relevant to project; Full Curriculum Vitae; Qualification certificate translated to English and certificated; contact of two referees (name, address, and email); other supporting documents considered relevant for the evaluation of the application.
The applications must be submitted exclusively by email to firstname.lastname@example.org , mentioning the job reference.
Complaints: Complaints must be submitted by email to email@example.com within the legal deadlines.
The CQM is a National Research Unit supported and evaluated by FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia. It is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC), is committed to the principle of equity in employment, and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals