iMinds Vision Lab at the University of Antwerp has an open position for a PhD student to work on developing advanced image reconstruction methods for X‐ray tomography. Tomography is an image reconstruction technique that leans strongly on large‐scale numerical mathematics, particularly linear algebra. It has a wide range of applications in medicine (CT‐scans), industry (nondestructive testing) and science (3D imaging of nanomaterials). Within recent years, the need for new, cost‐effective, and lightweight components has strongly grown in many high‐tech industries such as aerospace, automotive, marine, and construction. The current project will focus on the non‐destructive testing of fiber‐reinforced polymers (FRPs) by industrial 3D X‐ray computed tomography (XCT). Novel multimodal image reconstruction methods will be developed by combining attenuation and phase contrast signals obtained with grating interferometry techniques. The position is part of a European bridge project with partner labs and companies in Austria and Germany.
To strengthen the activities within the area of digital image reconstruction and processing, iMinds Vision Lab is currently recruiting motivated researchers.
- You will participate in fundamental and applied research projects.
- Together with your colleagues you will investigate new tomographic algorithms to reconstruct and quantitatively analyze digital X‐ray images.
- You will keep track of the latest developments in the scientific literature and will contribute to the open source ASTRA image reconstruction toolbox.
- You have a Master’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics or Mathematics.
- You have an in‐depth knowledge of C/C++ and you are highly proficient in English (both written and oral – providing a recent TOEFL test result is advised).
- You are willing to participate in fundamental and applied research projects in the area of tomographic image reconstruction.
- GPU programming, python scripting or knowledge of X‐ray imaging is a plus.
- You get the possibility to obtain a PhD degree in a young, dynamic, and stimulating work environment.
- A contract as full time (scientific) employee.
- Start date: as soon as possible.
- End date: 30/02/2019, the contract being yearly renewable.
- Contacts and collaboration with leading national and international research groups and companies.
- Possibility to present research results at important international conferences.
- Fringe Benefits: free public transport; biking fee for work traffic, use of sport facilities and entrance in student restaurants of Antwerp University.
- Type of contract: Full time
- Interested candidates are invited to send a motivation letter, a detailed CV (including followed courses, honours, grades, previous work, …), and contact info of at least two references through the application system at iMinds.be