Aluminium Yttrium Garnet: Scientists have been showing increasing interest in the field of nanoparticles research mainly due to the interesting and unexpected outcomes that are possible by altering the atomic and molecular properties of elements. Nanotechnology provides novel and unique solutions in the field of biotechnology, optics, electronics, cosmetics etc.
Aluminium Yttrium Garnet (YAG, Y3Al5O12) is an important laser material with excellent chemical stability, thermal and good optical properties, and high temperature creep resistance. It has proved to be one of the most promising laser materials for many kinds of laser devices.
Aluminium Yttrium Garnet: In order to achieve high density and highly transparent YAG ceramics, highly dispersed ultrafine YAG powder is necessary. At present, several wet chemical synthesis methods have been developed and successfully used for low temperature production of pure phase YAG powders. These methods include the co precipitation, homogeneous precipitation and sol-gel combustion.
Among all of the used physicochemical techniques, sonochemical reac...The formation, growth, and implosive collapse of bubbles in a liquid cause intense local heating (5000∘ C) and pressure (1800 atm). Moreover, the ultrasound waves induce the formation of radicals which results in enhanced reaction rates at ambient temperatures. It has also been shown that much smaller nanoparticles and higher surface area can be achieved through intense conditions. Compared with conventional methods, microwave irradiation synthesis has advantages of short reaction time, production of small particles with narrow size distribution, and high purity.
In this study, YAG nanoparticles have been synthesized by ultrasound-assisted and ultrasound-microwave-assisted alkoxide hydrolysis precipitation method. The effect of reaction parameters including pH value, ultrasonic radiation time, and calcination temperature on the composition of the products has been investigated.
1. Yttrium aluminum oxide powder is known for its high thermal stability and insolubility hence it is most suited for ceramic, glass and optic applications. Ceramic structures made using this powder are used in making simple clay bowls to complex electronic components.
2. Aluminum imparts light weight and hence can be used in building structural components used in aerospace.
3. The ionic conductivity property of the powder is made use of in electrochemical applications such as building fuel cells.
4. The high-purity powder is used in the preparation of sputtering bonded targets in chemical processes such as chemical vapor deposition, atomic thermal and electron beam evaporation, metallic-organic and chemical vapor deposition etc.
5. The high surface area provided by these powders is helpful in solar, water treatment and fuel cell applications.
6. Optical applications of yttrium aluminum oxide powder include building of optical filters, automotive rear-view mirrors.
7. They are also used as coloring and adhesive agents in manufacture of enamels.