Dear members,
I saw many articles in newspapers and in net regarding the antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles. The nanoparticles are the fascinating things today. How can the silver nanoparticles inhibit or kill the bacteria or virus or even fungi. What is the actual thing that lies behind to work silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agents. I hope i will get sufficient discussions over this topic.

Tags: antimicrobial, bacteria, fungi, nanoparticles, silver, virus

Views: 715

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

murugesan5@yahoo.com
Hello,
In case of Viruss e.g. HIV-I, its a site specific (gp 120 protein recepters) and size dependent binding mechanism that inhibits binding of virus to the host cell.

Amod Shepal
Microbiologist,
Pune, India
Hello,
In case of Viruss e.g. HIV-I, its a site specific (gp 120 protein recepters) and size dependent binding mechanism that inhibits binding of virus to the host cell.

Amod Shepal
Microbiologist,
Pune, India.
1.Strong interaction with thiol groups present in cell respiratory enzymes in the microbe cell.
2.Interaction with structural proteins and preferential binding with DNA bases to inhibit replication.
3.Binding of the silver ion to free sulphydryl groups in the bacterium or on its surface leading to inactivation of the enzyme phosphomannose Isomerase (essential for biosynthesis of cell wall).
Therefore, it attacks many sites simultaneously and microbes can not get resistant easily against silver.
Dear All,
In our culture we have local traditions of wearing silver rings or chains when there is some injures or fever, I would like to ask about wearing the silver rings will affect the bact. or it has to be nano...Regards
dear friends,
Who knows about the technical ionization of nanoparticles silver? How they will be ionized when they are put to water without using the electrodes?
Dear Amod,
Thanx for your reply. How can a nanoparticles becomes toxic When if the same is in bulk?
Hello,
as nanoparticles are smaller, the greater its surface area to volume ratio and higher its chemical reactivity, and biological activity. as greater the chemical reactivity, results increased in production of ROS, including Free radicals- oxidative stress, inflammation, etc... primary mechanism of TOXICITY..
according to sum reports, there are certain nanoparticles tht may move into the sensitive lungs tissues after inhalation, and cause damage tht may leads to chronic breathing problems..
another e.g. is of Carbon Nanotubes, are frequently linked to the asbestos, tht can leads to Mesothelioma, cancer of lining of lungs becoz of asbestos, results observed during experimenting in abdominal cavity of mice using carbon NTs..
I am thankfull to everyone who had participated in this discussion by sharing some valuable information. I am also thankfull for the sugessions and expression of thier views on this discussion. With enriched information in mind and safisfaction in heart I would like to close this discussion. I am thankful to Nanopaprika for giving such a wonderful platform to interact with international nanotech research people.

with regards,
Ch.L.R.Jaidev.

RSS

Welcome - about us

Welcome! Nanopaprika was cooked up by Hungarian chemistry PhD student in 2007. The main idea was to create something more personal than the other nano networks already on the Internet. Community is open to everyone from post-doctorial researchers and professors to students everywhere.

There is only one important assumption: you have to be interested in nano!

Nanopaprika is always looking for new partners, if you have any idea, contact me at editor@nanopaprika.eu

Dr. András Paszternák, founder of Nanopaprika

Publications by A. Paszternák:

Smartphone-Based Extension of the Curcumin/Cellophane pH Sensing Method

Pd/Ni Synergestic Activity for Hydrogen Oxidation Reaction in Alkaline Conditions

The potential use of cellophane test strips for the quick determination of food colours

pH and CO2 Sensing by Curcumin-Coloured Cellophane Test Strip

Polymeric Honeycombs Decorated by Nickel Nanoparticles

Directed Deposition of Nickel Nanoparticles Using Self-Assembled Organic Template,

Organometallic deposition of ultrasmooth nanoscale Ni film,

Zigzag-shaped nickel nanowires via organometallic template-free route

Surface analytical characterization of passive iron surface modified by alkyl-phosphonic acid layers

Atomic Force Microscopy Studies of Alkyl-Phosphonate SAMs on Mica

Amorphous iron formation due to low energy heavy ion implantation in evaporated 57Fe thin films

Surface modification of passive iron by alkylphosphonic acid layers

Formation and structure of alkylphosphonic acid layers on passive iron

Structure of the nonionic surfactant triethoxy monooctylether C8E3 adsorbed at the free water surface, as seen from surface tension measurements and Monte Carlo simulations

Next partner events of TINC

We are Media Partner of: