Cancer, a serious problem

Hi everyone,Is there anyone wants to talk about "Cancer"? I am really interested at it. It is becoming a serious problem day by day. On the other hand, with the development of technology, we will probably find a treatment. I think it is very soon:)Anyways waiting for your messages.

You need to be a member of The International NanoScience Community - Nanopaprika.eu to add comments!

Join The International NanoScience Community - Nanopaprika.eu

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi ,
        Olga thanks for ur information.........and now tell me about HGPRT enzyme ........... is it present or absent in myeloma cells ? Actually i have read about this tech. a lot from books and from net also ...........as i had already given a seminar on this topic in my class but still there r so many points which are still not cleared to me so pleeeeeeeez
  • what about this-cancer is virus????!
    • Maybe but it isnot known yet. I donot know if you have heard the twins in UK. They are identical but one of them is suffering from cancer, on the other hand the other one is healthy. Because they are identical, they have the same stem cells, so UK scientists started to search the reasons why one is health and the other one is sick. I think they still couldnot find anything but it is kinda weird. because both of them have the cancer gene but only one is sick. environmental things are of course a reason but a virus can be a reason as well. Why not?
    • Hi Theo,

Thanks for your information. I checked the website. It looks really amazing. I hope it works.

And i agree with you about the Chemotheraphy. But unfortunately it is still the only cure for the cancer people. Radiotherapy is also in use but not as effective as chemotherapy. We have to find out a way of new treatment i guess. Wish we can:)

Olga.
  • 11/02/2007

Radio waves fire up nanotubes embedded in tumors, destroy liver cancer

BY SCOTT MERVILLE
    Special to the Rice News

Cancer cells treated with carbon nanotubes can be destroyed by noninvasive radio waves that heat up the nanotubes while sparing untreated tissue, a research team from the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and Rice University found in preclinical experiments.

In a paper now posted online and to be printed in the December issue of the journal Cancer, the scientists show that the technique completely destroyed liver cancer tumors in rabbits. No side effects were noted. However, some healthy liver tissue within 2-5 millimeters of the tumors sustained heat damage due to nanotube leakage from the tumor.

"These are promising, even exciting, preclinical results in this liver cancer model," says senior author Steven Curley, professor in M.D. Anderson's Department of Surgical Oncology. "Our next step is to look at ways to more precisely target the nanotubes so they attach to, and are taken up by, cancer cells while avoiding normal tissue."

Targeting the nanotubes solely to cancer cells is the major challenge to advancing the therapy, Curley says. Research is under way to bind the nanotubes to antibodies, peptides or other agents that in turn target molecules expressed on cancer cells. To complicate matters, most such molecules are also expressed in normal tissue.

Curley estimates that a human clinical trial is at least three to four years away.

Curley conducted the research at M. D. Anderson in collaboration with nanotechnology experts at Rice's Carbon Nanotechnology Laboratory (CNL) and with Erie, Pa., entrepreneur John Kanzius of ThermMed, LLC. Kanzius, who invented the experimental radiofrequency generator used in the experiments, is a cancer survivor and former radio station owner whose insights into the potential of targeted radio waves inspired this area of research.

At Rice, the work was begun by Nobel laureate Richard Smalley, several months before his untimely death from cancer in 2005. Smalley founded Rice's Carbon Nanotechnology Laboratory and one of the world's foremost experts on carbon nanotubes. He shared a Nobel Prize for the 1985 discovery of fullerenes, the family of carbon molecules that includes nanotubes. His 2005 research was concentrated largely on the radiofrequency cancer research project.

Rice materials scientist professor Boris Yakobson, a co-author on the paper, recalled meeting with Smalley in his hospital room at M.D. Anderson five days before his death.

"He looked very ill, breathing heavily through the oxygen mask, but all he wanted to do was talk about the physics of this very phenomenon," Yakobson said. "Oblivious of his ebbing health, Rick was focused on the future. He had told Congress in 1999 that nanotechnology would help revolutionize cancer treatment, and he was a scientist wanting to know whether this technology might be one of the things that would make that possible."

In the liver cancer experiment, a solution of single-walled carbon nanotubes was injected directly into the tumors. Four treated rabbits were then exposed to 2 minutes of radiofrequency treatment, resulting in thermal destruction of their tumors.

Carbon nanotubes are hollow cylinders of pure carbon that measure about a billionth of a meter, or one nanometer, across.

Control group tumors that were treated only by radiofrequency exposure or only by nanotubes were undamaged.

In lab experiments, two lines of liver cancer cells and one pancreatic cancer cell line were destroyed after being incubated with nanotubes and exposed to the radiofrequency field.

"I'm humbled by the results of this research," says Kanzius. "I realize it's early in the race, but Dr. Curley and his team have moved on this carefully with utmost speed. I look forward to continuing to work with them and hopefully to watching the first person be treated with this procedure. The race isn’t over but it needs to be taken to the finish line."

Radiofrequency energy fields penetrate deeply into tissue, so it would be possible to deliver heat anywhere in the body if targeted nanotubes or other nanoparticles can be delivered to cancerous cells, Curley says. Without such a target, radio waves will pass harmlessly through the body.

An invasive technique known as radio frequency ablation is used today to treat some malignant tumors, the authors note. It requires insertion of needle electrodes directly into the tumors. Incomplete tumor destruction occurs in 5 to 40 percent of cases, normal tissue is damaged and complications arise in 10 percent of patients who suffer such damage. Radiofrequency ablation is currently limited to liver, kidney, breast, lung and bone cancers.

The research was supported by an American Association of Cancer Research Littlefield Grant, NASA and the Houston-based Alliance for NanoHealth, the National Science Foundation, Rice's Center for Biological and Environmental Nanotechnology and the Fulbright Foundation.

Co-authors with Curley, Smalley, Kanzius and Yakobson are first authors Christopher Gannon, also of M.D. Anderson's Department of Surgical Oncology; Paul Cherukuri of Rice's Carbon Nanotechnology Laboratory and Department of Chemistry; Carter Kittrell, Bruce Weisman, Matteo Pasquali and Howard Schmidt, all of Rice; and Laurent Cognet of Rice and the Centre de Physique Moléculaire Optique et Hertzienne, Université Bordeaux, France.

—Scott Merville is a medical writer at the University of Texas' M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Jade Boyd contributed to this article.
    • Ironic that exactly 1 month later after this post, there was a 60 Minutes piece done about the very same thing. I have also posted it on my blog. But you can click on View the 60 Minutes Segment

Hope ya enjoy!
      • Thanks for the information!
      • Excellent piece of information!
        Thanks,

Jose Feneque, DVM
    • Hii,
      Thank you very much for your information. I have been busy these days. I will try to send you some information about Pancreatic cancer.
      • Thanks Olga, that will be great help.
This reply was deleted.