In the framework of its Industrial Research Fund (IOF) and in support of applied research the Antwerp University Association (AUHA) is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy (m/f) as Research and Innovation Manager for the IOF consortium NANOcenter, consisting of the following research groups: EMAT, CMTand PLASMANT.
The position is explicitly aimed at research valorisation. We expect you to contact companies, set up and maintain projects with industrial partners, explore options for launching university spin-offs and establish project proposals for the European Horizon 2020 Programme and other large programmes. Your main duties will be to identify research ideas, that are mature enough for transfer to the industry and to take the necessary actions to realise this transfer. To achieve these goals, you need to have sufficient insight concerning the needs of the industrial landscape and you are expected to demonstrate sufficient knowledge related to the research topics and techniques of the consortium.
- You consolidate and expand the research consortium from a research management perspective with the aim of:
- stimulating co-operation with industry
- building up a knowledge and IP portfolio of potential interest to industry.
- professional management of current research projects
- Scientific, administrative and financial managing of IOF related research projects;
- Preparing and follow-up of project proposals for the European Horizon 2020 Programme.
- valorization of know-how through service provision.
- You will collaborate with industry to proactively explore opportunities for new research topics with the aim of capitalising upon the existing expertise in the research consortium.
- You will stimulate from within the IOF consortium (interdisciplinary) collaboration with other research groups of the university, as well as with the university colleges belonging to the association (AUHA), and create national and international collaborative networks. Hereby focusing also on new initiatives concerning the cluster policy of the Flemish Government.
- You will take new initiatives for valorisation in close cooperation with the Interface of the University of Antwerp.
In summary, your efforts should be focused on valorisation of innovative research results and technologies obtained within the consortium aiming to contribute to the IOF-parameters of the association (AUHA) with primary focus on: industrial collaborations (Parameter 3), EU funding (Parameter 4), patents (Parameter 5) and spin-offs (Parameter 6).
Profile and requirements
- Preferably you are holder of a doctoral degree in the domain of the IOF consortium. If not, you have at least 5 years of relevant expertise in (organization and/or valorisation of) research related to its research domain:
- Transmission electron microscopy
- Characterization of materials
- Physical chemistry of nanomaterials
- Materials Science
- You have a track record of successful research valorisation in one or more of the following domains: materials science, characterization of materials, nanomaterials.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and possess strong administration and communication skills.
- Relevant work experience in both academic and industrial research is a strong asset;
- You have a good understanding of the ecosystem in which you will operate, with focus on the potential value proposition of projects that are ready for commercialization.
- You have a basic knowledge of intellectual property protection.
- You know how to obtain and understand information on potential markets (market intelligence).
- Experience in attracting external research funding from the private and public sector in the domain of applied research on national as well as international level is desirable.
- Knowledge of technology transfer processes needed to valorise academic research results and available technology as well as experience in managing a broad project portfolio is an advantage.
- Experience with EC projects and the related administration (intellectual property) is also an advantage.
- You have sufficient fluency in Dutch, French and English to maintain and initiate contacts with industrial organisation in Flanders and Europe.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, efficient, punctual, communicative, creative and cooperative.
- a permanent contract, depending on a positive evaluation;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging from € 3.974,32 - € 6.195,62 depending on the academic qualifications and former professional experience;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment;
- flexible working hours;
- 35 days of holiday;
- reimbursement of public transport for home-work travel;
- bicycle allowance;
- date of appointment: from February the 1st of 2017. The actual starting date is open for negotiation.
How to apply?
- Please send your application, letter of interest, curriculum vitae and application formto email@example.com until the closing date: 4 December 2016
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel; for the selected candidates job interviews will take place on Monday 12th December 2016
- More information about the application form can be obtained at firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information regarding the IOF can be obtained via email@example.com
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. S. Bals firstname.lastname@example.org