Im confused with zero dimension in nano. can anyone explain it??

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the size a particle is very less say for example less than 5 nm or so, it is fully confined, an atom or a free electron cannot move in any direction, it is confined three dimensionally. So called 0 dimension.

In another way its size is appreciably lesser than observable limit

Thank you very much for your answer for my question sir. I just want to clarify more on it. When I asked the same question in a seminar, they told, "we can not measure the crystallographic parameters such as a, b and c in 0D but its possible in 1D, 2D and 3D". And they have given the example of sphere in nano scale. I just want to know that whether zero dimension is anything to do with crystallographic parameters (as they told) ??
Zero dim is nothing but quantum dot. The size will be approximately <10nm. Comparable to its bohr atomic radius the particle size will vary. So u cant tell that all particles less than 10 nm are quantum dots.It will vary from material to material. It is possible to measure crystallographic parameters. Moreover, u can get the d spacing from TEM.

Reply to Discussion

Welcome - about us

Welcome! Nanopaprika was cooked up by Hungarian chemistry PhD student in 2007. The main idea was to create something more personal than the other nano networks already on the Internet. Community is open to everyone from post-doctorial researchers and professors to students everywhere.

There is only one important assumption: you have to be interested in nano!

Nanopaprika is always looking for new partners, if you have any idea, contact me at

Dr. András Paszternák, founder of Nanopaprika

Next partner events of TINC

We are Media Partner of:

© 2015   Created by András Paszternák, PhD (founder).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Warning: require_once(xn-app://widgetlaboratory/apps/windex.php): failed to open stream: "XN_AppFilesystemStream::stream_open" call failed in /apps/nanoscience/index.php on line 5 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'xn-app://widgetlaboratory/apps/windex.php' (include_path='.:/php/includes/XN:/php/includes/PEAR:/php/includes/other') in /apps/nanoscience/index.php on line 5