Consumer electronics majors like Samsung and LG have launched washing machines which release nano silver ions during the silver wash.The silver ions are released only if the silver wash option is selected. Silver is known for it's anti-biotic properties and this is banked heavily on for producing such a silver-ion releasing washing machines. The silver ions are said to go into the fabric and kill more than 600 types of bacterium. That's really great when viewed with bactericidal and fungicidal angle. But grave concerns have been raised by enviornmental groups of the world over the likely damage to human and animal cells. Samsung has countered the protest by saying that the nano-silver-ion washing is capable removing hepatitis B Virus as the Virus is also nano-scale.Research is still on to find out the exact effect of such a technology on human health.The action against Virus is a definitely a positive for the medical community if it is held true.Like any other controversial science like stem cell research, cloning, nuclear power generation nano-science has also to be used responsibly.And here is a catch. I happen to be a new consumer of nano-washing machine. I have purchased just for being an advanced model without fully realising the nano element in it. Now having come to know I use the machine without selecting the "silver wash" action!I am sure there may be lakhs of consumers who have purchased just to use a latest technology without knowing the full implications and mechanism of such technology.Average consumers are not all that well versed in science and technology matters.In view of this awareness creation by consumer groups and government is necessary. All such products should be asked to carry a label that it contains nano-particles and nano-particle generators releasing nano-particles during the operation. As companies like samsung have to file a report before may 2009, the consumers may be asked to put on hold the operation of silver wash option in their machines.Thanks fo reading. I invite all the knowledgeable friends' suggestions on this. Forget not to leave your comments.K.Mohan(MohanSanjeevan)

You need to be a member of The International NanoScience Community - Nanopaprika.eu to add comments!

Join The International NanoScience Community - Nanopaprika.eu

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We are a leading produce of nano carbide and nano nitride particles. Please kindly see the followings of our products:
    1.nano silicon carbide
    Chemical formula: SiC beta
    Purity: 97-99%
    [O] <0.6-1%
    free [Si] <0.2%
    APS: 40-50 nm
    SSA: 60-80 m2/g
    True density: 3.22 g/cm3
    Bulk density: 0.08 g/cm3
    Crystal cell: Cubic
    Color: Green
    Shelf time: 24 months
    2.nano silicon nitride
    Chemical formula: Si3N4 amorphous
    Purity: 97.5-99%
    [O] <0.7-1%
    free [Si] <0.4%
    APS: 20 nm
    SSA: 115 m2/g
    True density: 3.4 g/cm3
    Bulk density: 0.05 g/cm3
    Crystal cell: amorphous
    Color: White
    3.nano titanium nitride
    Chemical formula: TiN
    Purity: 97-99%
    [O] < 1%, (C<0.2%, Fe<0.04%, Si<0.02%)
    APS: 10-20 nm
    SSA: 80 m2/g
    True density: 5.22 g/cm3
    Bulk density: 0.08 g/cm3
    Crystal cell: Face Center Cubic
    Color: Gray White
    • where do u put up? how do i purchase your products?
  • i have already decided to get in touch with the company. As per literature silver ions are released from an electrolysis kit. There is a compartment through which water is let in. It appears that it is the same compartment containing electrolysis kit.

Let me see. Thanks to Nivashni and Dr.Varima Bokare for their enlightening comments.Kindly share this discussion with all your friends to make the discussion comprehensive to get more suggestions.
  • Dear sir,

Its very true that companies now a days under the name tag of nano are marketting various stuff from cosmetics to home appliances without giving the details ..........infact any product having nano should decribe the details about chemical nature and full background information. i recently read an article where few reseachers have proposed the US -EPA to declare silver nano as a pesticide....tell you what few years back when i was in pune doing my phd there was an expo for selling home appliances........many companies had come including the ones selling silver nano fridge n washing machines..........when i asked there sales people to describe me what exaclty silver nano does , none of them were able to answer me.........so you see if they themselves are unaware then ........
  • JR Nanotech Plc
    What is nanotechnology and nano-silver?

What is nanotechnology and nano-silver?
    Nanotechnology is a rapidly growing science of producing and utilizing nano-sized particles that measure in nanometers (1 nm = 1 billionth of a metre). One nanomaterial that is having an early impact in healthcare products is nano-silver.

Silver has been used for the treatment of medical ailments for over 100 years due to its natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. The nano-silver particles typically measure 25nm. They have extremely large relative surface area, increasing their contact with bacteria or fungi, and vastly improving its bactericidal and fungicidal effectiveness.

The nano-silver when in contact with bacteria and fungus will adversely affect cellular metabolism and inhibit cell growth. The nano-silver suppresses respiration, basal metabolism of electron transfer system, and transport of substrate in the microbial cell membrane. The nano-silver inhibits multiplication and growth of those bacteria and fungi which cause infection, odour, itchiness and sores

Nano-silver can be applied to a range of other healthcare products such as dressings for burns, scald, skin donor and recipient sites; plasters for surgical and trauma wounds; aqueous gel for spots, acne and cavity wounds; and female hygiene products - panty liners, sanitary towels and pants.
    Nano-silver is:
    · Highly efficacious
    · Fast acting
    · Non Poisonous
    · Non stimulating
    · Non allergic
    · Tolerance Free
    · Hydrophilic
    • Nano-silver is a new product of the emerging nanotechnology and is a new age preservative.. Nano silver is used in personal care and consumer products owing to its high anti-microbial activity. Commercial Nano-silver is usually available as a suspension in pure de-ionized water with nanosized silver (Ag). Approximately 80% of the silver is in the form of metallic silver nano-particles. The remaining silver is in ionic form. Nano silver particles are much more smaller (2 nm in diameter) and exists in a stable form than colloidal silver (10 nm to 1 micron in diameter).

Nano-silver, though an effective antibacterial (She and Zhang 2003, Lok et al. 2006), may also cause genotoxic impact. Case histories indicate that dermal exposure to silver or silver compounds for extended periods can lead to generalize skin discolouration. Mild allergic responses attributed to dermal contact with silver or silver compounds was also reported (ATSDR 1990). The most commonly discussed side effects from excessive in take of elemental silver is a condition known as argyria. The excess silver usually gets deposited in the skin, organs and other tissues. The deposition of silver in the skin may lead to the change of skin colour to a gray or bluish gray (East et al. 1980). Nano-silver, is smallest enough to enter the skin pores if applied on the skin and it may result in damage to the skin cells. Research on the nano particles has revealed the ability of these particles to pass through cell walls and damage DNA (ATSDR 1990).

In humans, less than 1% of topically applied silver compounds are absorbed through the skin (Snyder et al. 1975). Nano-silver, incorporated in cosmetics or consumer products may enter the human cells easily through both intact and damaged skin. Silver particles once deposited in the layers of skin of humans, it accumulates throughout the ageing process (Hostynek et al. 1993).

Earlier reports showed that high concentrations of nano-silver based inorganic antibacterial agents have cytotoxic effects on rat's fibroblasts L-929 (Zhand et al. 2005). Histopathological studies on the effect of pure silver showed accumulation of granules in the cytoplasm and showed little cytotoxicity. It is supported by the study of Schmahl and Steinhoff (1960) that colloidal silver injected subcutaneously, into rats resulted in tumour in 8/26 rats, that survived longer than 14 months.

In proteomic studies nano-silver was shown to destabilize the outer membrane, collapse the plasma membranes' potential and deplete the levels of intracellular ATP of the bacterial cells (Lok et al. 2006). Similar studies on the effect of nano-silver on plasma membranes and ATP in mammalian and other eukaryotic systems are lacking.

In the present preliminary toxicity assay, treatments with 10, 20, 40 and 50 ppm of nano-silver produced a dose and duration-dependent MI and CA in Allium root meristems. The reduction of MI during all treatments clearly indicates the mitodepressive and cytotoxic effect of nano-silver. This might have been achieved by the inhibition of DNA synthesis at S-phase (Sudhakar et al. 2001). The high frequency of mitotic abnormalities such as C-metaphase, disturbed metaphase and disturbed anaphase induced by nano-silver primarily reflects its effects on mitotic spindles, altering the orientation of chromosomes at various stages of the cell cycle. Impairment of mitotic spindle function is probably due to the interaction of nano-silver with tubulin-SH group (Kuriyama and Sakai, 1974). Observation of chromosome stickiness was another type of abnormality induced by nano-silver. This stickiness presumably is due to intermingling of chromatin fibres, which leads to sub chromatid connections between chromosomes (McGill et al. 1974, Klasterska et al. 1976). The induction of chromosomal breaks and micronuclei by nano-silver indicates the clastogenic potential of the test chemical, which may lead to a loss of genetic material and these have been regarded as an indication of mutagenicity of the inducers (Raun et al. 1992). In conclusion, the results of present study in Allium root meristems suggest that nano-silver possesses mitodepressive, mitoclassic and clastogenic properties.

The present study provides an evidence for the possible genotoxic effect of nano-silver on plant system. Though the results in the plant system cannot be extrapolated directly to animal systems, the findings of the present study raise the need for elaborate evaluations to ensure the safety of nano-silver.
      • Surely nanosilver in excess of certain ppm can cause allergies..consumers should be aware of the amount silvernano in ppm level... though silver has antibacterial property excess of it is poisonous ...Hence unless the consumer are aware of the amount that is being released in their clothing ..It is better to switch off the silver particle release in the washing machine...You did the right thing sir...but i would suggest that you check with the company as to how much is being released ...if it is in ppm level ..you may as well enjoy the benefits of silver nano
This reply was deleted.