BAND GAP OF iron oxide nanoparticles

I    would like  to  know   about  band gap energy of  the  iron  oxide  nanoparticles of   size  about  20 nm that  I  have  prepared. Accordingly   I   got  the  value   around 3.88 eV.  by  UV-VIS spectrum. Is it  correct value . since   I  refer  some   papers that  shows  Iron oxide is  a semiconductor , and  the  semiconductors have  the  value  of Eg  around 0.5  to   5 eV. please  suggest  me 

You need to be a member of The International NanoScience Community - Nanopaprika.eu to add comments!

Join The International NanoScience Community - Nanopaprika.eu

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Iron oxides show diluted magnetic semiconducting (DMS) behavior. This will make them proper choice for spintronic or spinelectronic. If you synthesized nanoparticles of magnetite then you must have slit difference from bulk state band gap which is 0.14 eV. But for it's Quantum dot (below 10 nm in diameter) the band gap widened about your value 3.9 eV. However the Spectroscopy of these nanoparticle needed exact setting  like scan rate, shadow and reference introduction and etc. If you did your Spectroscopy on substrate, I ask you try in colloidal state and be sure your solution concentration is in the range of Spectrometer device can Analysis it.

M. Kateb

TMU optoelectronic lab.

• Dear Sir,

I think the value changes from the type of oxide you are dealing with. I have read few papers which report the value of alpha haematite as 2-2.2 eV. I am sharing a paper which reports that value.

http://www.nnin.org/doc/2005NNINreuCruz.pdf

You may want to look at this.

• sir it is all depend on absorption edge of this material in spectra .

also make me clear from which technique you measured a particle size.

• Dear sir What is your wave lenth absorption value for your compound.
  • by which method u have prepared iron oxide nps?
  • Dear sir ,i think you r correct.Kindly search the Spectoscopy books written by Lambert.This books give more idea about Uv.
This reply was deleted.