Dear members,
I saw many articles in newspapers and in net regarding the antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles. The nanoparticles are the fascinating things today. How can the silver nanoparticles inhibit or kill the bacteria or virus or even fungi. What is the actual thing that lies behind to work silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agents. I hope i will get sufficient discussions over this topic.

Tags: antimicrobial, bacteria, fungi, nanoparticles, silver, virus

Views: 703

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

There is a rich literature on the topic of anti-microbial properties of silver nanoparticles.

One randomly chosen paper is the following paper:

Silver or silver nanoparticles: a hazardous threat to the environment and human health?

Nagender Reddy Panyala, Eladia M. Pena-Mendez, Josef Havel

Address: Josef Havel, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Kotlarska 2, 61137 Brno, Czech Republic
havel@chemi.muni.cz
There are several articles regarding the same. Few are mentioned below-

Elchiguerra J L et al (2005), Interaction of Silver Nanoparticles with HIV-I, J Nanobiotechnology 3, 6.

Morones J R et al (2005) The Bactericidal Effect of Silver Nanoparticles, Nanotechnology 16, 2346 -2353.

Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, Volume 3, Issue 1, Pages 95-101.
I think nano silver particles can attach to cell wall firstly, and then, little by little, they can penetrate to cell and affect on thiol groups in protein and produce the free radical such as ROS,reactive oxygen species,and as a result inactive the respiratory enzymes and affect on DNA so death of bacteria .
The NanoForum in Paris has organised this year 3 meetings on this topic.
All discussions are available there : http://www.vivagora.org/spip.php?rubrique56

The pb with nanosilver is the fact it is used everywhere. So we will face a threat in the environment and on useful bacterias we need in our wastes' epuration stations.
To know more you can get my book "Le Meilleur des nanomondes" (Brave new nanoworld) only in french

Dorothée Benoit Browaeys

http://www.libella.fr/buchet-chastel/index.php?post/2009/02/23/Le-M...

http://le-meilleur-des-nanomondes.blogspot.com/
Silver has good affinity towards sulphur and phosphorus. sulphur is found in most of the proteins and phosphorus is the backbone of DNA. Silver nanoparticles are not antimicrobial rather they are microbialcidal i.e. they do not attack on any specific region rather they can attach anywhere they find P & S, therby checking the metabolic pathway or transcription.
Dear Mr. Vyom Parashar,
your infomration is quiet good. Thank you for participating in the discussion. The one thing that I observed from your views is that the electrostactic attractions between the silver nanopartilces and the P and S atoms might be responsible for the binding. Do you have any information regarding the entrance of silver nanoparticles into the bacteria?
Dear Browaeys,
Thank you for participating in the discussion and also thanks for offering me the book that you written "Le Meilleur des nanomondes". I will learn french language for reading your book. Thanks for your information.
dear farideh heidarpour,
Your views are good and it may also a reason for the antimicrobial activity of the silver nanoparticle. Can you suggest any so that i can get through.
Dear Manu smriti singh,
Thanks for teh article references. I have the first two articles with me. If you have can you send me a copy of the third article?
According to the attached picture, in negative gram bacteria such as Escherichia, the lipid layers are more than in compare to the positive gram, Phospholipid, lipoprotein, and lipo poly saccharides(LPS), so I think the nano silver particles can pass through of this layers easier than in compare to positive gram bacteria and reach to protein. Also in negative gram, the Peptidoglycan layer is thinner, about 7-8 nanometer, than positive gram, about 20-80 nanometer, so the nano silver can reach to inner membrane easily. Mitochondria is in the inner membrane and there are some groups of protein in mitochondria that they are responsible to enzymes respiratory. As a result the nano silver can produce the free radical and cause to inactivation of these enzymes and finally to death of bacteria.
Attachments:
Dear Mr.Jaidev

silver nanoparticles does not follow any particular pathway or signalling mechanism to get enter the cell.
Silver nanoparticles entrance in cell can be compared with killing somebody with bullet. One possible mechanism could be phagocytosis. ROS can be after effect once SNPs get through the cell as a responce of bacterial cell.
I thank u. Send ur article to mail address. I am also doing antimicrobial activities of silver nanoparticles using seaweed

RSS

Next partner events of TINC

We are Media Partner of:

Welcome - about us

Welcome! Nanopaprika was cooked up by Hungarian chemistry PhD student in 2007. The main idea was to create something more personal than the other nano networks already on the Internet. Community is open to everyone from post-doctorial researchers and professors to students everywhere.

There is only one important assumption: you have to be interested in nano!

Nanopaprika is always looking for new partners, if you have any idea, contact me at editor@nanopaprika.eu

Dr. András Paszternák, founder of Nanopaprika

Publications by A. Paszternák:

The potential use of cellophane test strips for the quick determination of food colours

pH and CO2 Sensing by Curcumin-Coloured Cellophane Test Strip

Polymeric Honeycombs Decorated by Nickel Nanoparticles

Directed Deposition of Nickel Nanoparticles Using Self-Assembled Organic Template,

Organometallic deposition of ultrasmooth nanoscale Ni film,

Zigzag-shaped nickel nanowires via organometallic template-free route

Surface analytical characterization of passive iron surface modified by alkyl-phosphonic acid layers

Atomic Force Microscopy Studies of Alkyl-Phosphonate SAMs on Mica

Amorphous iron formation due to low energy heavy ion implantation in evaporated 57Fe thin films

Surface modification of passive iron by alkylphosphonic acid layers

Formation and structure of alkylphosphonic acid layers on passive iron

Structure of the nonionic surfactant triethoxy monooctylether C8E3 adsorbed at the free water surface, as seen from surface tension measurements and Monte Carlo simulations